April 28, 2008

Green-Wood Cemetery

I was invited to join some friends on an excursion to visit Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn. I know it is a bit crazy but I love walking through cemeteries (during daylight hours) and reading headstones. So I gladly accepted and enjoyed a lovely afternoon wandering through approximately 600,000 graves. My favorite part is that you can simply wander and wonder about people's lives . . .

When we arrived at the entrance, Collin shared with us that a colony of monk parakeets who got loose at JFK while being transported from South America (during the 1960's) have made their home in the tallest spire. I thought for certain he must be teasing me, but sure enough, we were able to see the nest and many green birds! The landscape of the cemetery is beautiful, rolling hills dotted with tombstones and trees.
We were very near the site of the Battle of Long Island, fought during the Revolutionary War (visiting this site was the reason for the excursion I believe). Lovely view across the meadow.
Nature won.
I'm not so certain the guys were all that excited about posing for a photo, but after feeding them lots of brownies and cake, I think they may have felt obligated. I know how to get people to do what I want :)
Collin, Ryan, Jared, Brigham, Gabe
This was my favorite headstone. It looked like an unrolled scroll and there were no names or dates that I could discover.
I was surprised to see a CAUTION sign in the cemetery. At least they wouldn't have to move you far if you ignored the sign.
One of my more favorite path markers . . . I think it reminded me of home.
I kept getting distracted reading headstones . . . but they would slow down when they realized I was missing.
I Y cemeteries in the springtime!

1 comment:

Don said...

I'm glad you clarified that you like walking through them during the day. :)

I was about to be a little concerned.