May 21, 2008

Growing Tomatoes

I Y gardening. I miss my garden, but can't bring myself to grow a plant in a pot after enjoying a 2+ acre plot in front of the house at home. So I continue to miss it for the second spring. Maybe next year I will fold.

Recently, I was reading and came across the following tips for growing tomatoes (hence the sudden sadness at not having a garden to grow):
*Plant in an area that gets at least 6 hours of light each day.
* Give seedlings plenty of room to grow.
* By placing black or red plastic over the area you plan to plant in, the soil will warm and will mean earlier tomatoes.
* Bury tomato plants until there are just a few top leaves showing.
* When plants reach three inches, remove leaves on the bottom one inch of the stem; this decreases risk of fungus.
* Water regularly. Once fruit develops, withhold water a little to get the plant to concentrate its flavorful sugars.

I need a garden plot again.
PS - this is a picture of Denise, holding tomatoes and standing in the last garden I grew.

2 comments:

Denisse said...

You are a multi-talented woman Brenda! You know I have always thought that about you!!!!!:) I'm sure those tomatoes were to die for!!! I love garden tomatoes!!!!!

Ashley said...

I love the tomato info!