February 16, 2008

A Case of Mistaken Identity


Without ever signing up for any of those on-line dating services, I had the opportunity to see what it would be like . . . and now I think it is the craziest thing people ever do!

It began early this morning, while I was working, an instant message from my work email account popped up on the laptop screen, sent by someone whom I didn't recognize. Not knowing what it might be, I opened it and was confronted with a message in Spanish. It was at this moment that I realized that the sender was from the Mexico City office. I saw "hola Brenda" and everything else was unrecognizable to me. I asked Kevin to try to read it (he claims a limited knowledge from high school Spanish class) and we realized that I was erroneously contacted. I replied (in English) that I thought he must have made a mistake. He apologized profusely (this time in my language, though not perfect) and I told him it wasn't a problem. This evolved into an online conversation that made the next couple hours of my Saturday at work a bit more interesting.

I discovered that I have absolutely no interest in ever participating in online dating! Not to give the wrong impression, this guy was nice and fairly interesting (barring the communication issue) and didn't seem to be creepy. But, well - it just seemed strange. This character thought that it was appropriate to ask my age and relationship status! Felt like I was passing out a bit too much information to someone whom I had never looked in the eye. I mean for real, can you really trust someone just by what they write? It would be so easy to embellish the truth or to even brush excessively important details under the rug. Also, it didn't feel like I was communicating with a real person because I hadn't heard his voice or seen his face. The worst part was due to the fact that I am sure he had to use a translation website to understand what I was saying. Oh well. It was interesting. I did have the self-respect to refuse to pass out my phone number, but I slipped with the Facebook thing (never really connected before that once someone knows your name they can easily find you!) Chalk it up to experience and move on, . . . I guess.

1 comment:

Denisse said...

I agree Brenda...online dating would just be too weird...how do you really get to know a person? face to face definitely is a much better way...talking and interacting with Scott was my favorite thing when we started to get to know each other...