June 13, 2008

Really a New Yorker


After three frustrating visits to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, and waiting patiently for two hours during the last one, I have successfully earned my New York State driver's license. All it took was presenting my birth certificate (thanks to Mom for overnighting it to me), social security card, proof of employment, proof of address, driving record from Oregon and my expired Oregon driver's license. As I handed over my Oregon license, the woman at the counter said to me, "you know we're gonna keep that, right?" I gave a sad sigh and responded "yes." Maybe I am a bit of a sentimental extremist, but that tiny rectangle of plastic has been my constant companion for over 9 years! It has lived in various purses and been presented with pride on countless occasions (not so much to officers of the law, but to people requesting identification). It felt as if I were surrendering my own identity as I slid it across the counter. And now it is time to embrace a new one - - - I am no longer an Oregonian, but a New Yorker.

1 comment:

Denisse said...

Wow! You are now officially a resident of New York! Does that mean that when you vote you are registered as a New Yorker? It probably does???...I also get sentimental about things like that...crazy that you had to wait that long to get it....2 hours... man!!!